

SAGSC – MINUTES
Southern Area General Service Committee
July 11, 2021

OPEN WITH SERENITY PRAYER

WELCOME NEW GSRs & DCMs

SECRETARY REPORT: CLAUDIA

Good afternoon, my name is Claudia, and I am an alcoholic and your Panel 71 SAGSC Secretary. First of all, I want to inform you that the ZOOM portion of this meeting is being recorded only onto my computer so that I can review the reports and fill in the minutes. I will then delete the recording. I will also be audio recording this meeting so that I can capture the reports that are live and also make extra sure that the minutes are thorough. Your anonymity is paramount, and all personal references will be kept out of the minutes and the recording will be deleted once the minutes are complete. I want to remind all of you who will be giving reports to get them to me in time to have them translated so that I can easily create our final minutes in both languages. If you forgot, you could forward them to me at the end of the meeting. I am a fast typist, but not fast enough to capture what you are saying from the “virtual podium” or real one. Thank you for letting me be of service.

APPROVAL OF MAY 2021 MINUTES – Unanimous approval

GSR TRAINER: GLENN W

Meeting opened at 11:00 am with the Serenity Prayer. We had 20 new GSRs and alt GSRs. We had an introduction to the website, some of its contents, GSR kit from GSO, the service manual, the Area 42 GSR Survival Guide, the Area 42 composition and SAGSC Guidelines.

DCM COORDINATOR: LISA T

Meeting opened at 11:10 with the Serenity Prayer

In Attendance:

2 in person & 2 on zoom

What is our role as a DCM?

Other than what the Service Manual lays out (page s32), we are here to educate our GSR'S and the groups in our district. We discussed the importance of utilizing past & current DCM'S as well as others in General Service to help us deal with any issues we may be having.

Dano the DCM for district 9, which till recently has been an inactive district, spoke about the things he is doing. His district is somewhat fragmented and has little group representation. He has created a binder with information for the DCM'S to help the GSR'S and the groups understand what it means to be in General Service and the importance of group representation. He has visited many of the groups in his district. This is vital I believe in helping the groups to be better informed. He did say while he is hoping to increase participation in this rotation his goal is to set the next DCM up with as active and informed a district as possible.

Libby who was standing in for the DCM from District 1, (also the past DCM of D-1) stated how important it is to make it, if not fun at least interesting. Also, what they do at the district meetings is spend about 5 minutes each on a Tradition and a Concept. Workshops and other activities, picnics, etc. are also an important part of bringing the message to the groups.

We also touched on the geographical district. Any group can choose what district they want to be a part of, however many do not know the boundaries of the districts.

We closed the meeting at 11:50 with the Responsibility Statement

SAGSC TREASURER: LIBBY

Hello, my name is Libby, and I am your alcoholic SAGSC Treasurer, which also makes me the Alternate Area 42 Treasurer.

As you can probably guess my job includes depositing your group checks, reconciling the banking account to the Quickbooks account, writing checks and reporting to the SAGSC finance committee and, of course, other activities as needed. On the Area side I pick up checks and mail them to the Area Treasurer who lives in the North and the mailbox is in the south. I'm also on the Area finance committee and help with the Area budget process. I also back up the Area treasurer in case she needs anything. As a bonus, and thanks to Jake and Julie, I'm co-chair for the Conference Agenda finance committee. So everything for me is about column numbers.

I would like to applaud everyone who has been sending in 7 th tradition contributions. My only request is if you can ask your treasurers to add an email for receipts. I will send receipts via snail mail if necessary, but email saves us money for 12 th step work.

I would like to offer my service to visit any group, district, workshop or standing committee. Just reach out to me and I'll be there. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you all for allowing me to serve and now I'll move on to my official financial reports. You should have gotten a Profit & Loss statement which would include the current bank balances and a Budget to Actual income and expenses.

(Quick summary of balances, Profit & Loss, and Budget to Actuals)

Thank you for letting me be of service,

FINANCE COMMITTEE CHAIR: SEAN

AREA OFFICER REPORTS:

DELEGATE: JULIE

I am very grateful to be here today. I was able to attend the Spanish Forum this morning.

I would love to give your districts a delegate's report.

- DCMs: Now that we are getting proficient at hybrid meetings, I can easily attend your district meetings and discuss what happened at the Conference in April. We can tailor the report to specific issues, questions or concerns your district has or can give an overview.
- Area Conference Committee Chairs and Standing Committee Chairs: I would love to discuss in detail my experience with the agenda items pertaining specifically to your committees. Remember, Lisa is going to provide time at the Fall Assembly for each committee to discuss your reactions to the results of the GSC. I would love to share my experience.

We have posted all the committee recommendations, floor actions, advisory actions, and my delegate's report either on the [Delegate's Corner](#) or in the [area member login](#) section of our webpage (which is anonymity/password protected). I have brought a few copies today of the quick reference.

We had a Pacific Region delegates' meeting with Kathi F, Pacific Region Trustee, Thursday. Here are some of the highlights: The soft copy of the 12x12 will come out later this month with the changes from this year's advisory actions. It is just the soft copy because we are ready for another printing. The revised "Faith Leaders ask Alcoholics Anonymous" (formerly Clergy Members ask...) will also be printed this month. The 71st Final Report should come out in August. Then in September, Hispanic Women in AA, the new 12 Traditions Illustrated (under a new name), and GSO should be receiving sample texts for the plain language translation from different vendors.

The new service manual will be released hopefully in November and December a new book of Spanish "Experience, Strength and Hope" will be published with stories from the Spanish Big Books.

We have a new challenge for July. It is the \$7.34 on 7/31/21. This amount would cover each member's share of GSO group services. I have printed a few flyers for you to bring to your groups. We are working on replenishing the reserve and any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. You and your groups were so thoughtful last year and covered the shortfall in literature sales, so that we were able to continue funding group services.

Thank you again for the honor to serve you as your delegate.

ALT DELEGATE: JAKE

NO REPORT

REGISTRAR: JONELLE

Hello everyone, my name is Jonelle and I am an alcoholic. I currently serve as your Alternate Area Registrar which also makes me your SAGSC Registrar. By now, you all should have received an email with the Area Assembly registration link. If you are a new GSR or an old GSR and did not, please connect with your DCM. If you are a new DCM or an old one and need the email sent again, please let me know.. my contact info is alternateregistrar@nevadaarea42.org. – you can also connect with me on the Area 42 website under CONTACTS, Alt Registrar.

If you are attending the Assembly, either in person or on line, you must register. There is an option for both on the form. If you are hosting an Assembly rager at your home and will have a bunch of super enthusiastic Area members attending, you all must register!!! There is also an option for the Banquet. That is not a requirement. .. you are allowed to skip the Banquet and attend the Saturday Night Speaker Meeting at no cost. Please note that there are a limited amount of Banquet tickets available, so don't wait if you know you want to attend. On line registration closes on August 23, 2021. After that, you will be able to register on site. Cash or check only. Please know that registering early allows for the Area Secretary a better estimate of how many packets she will need to make and our Area Chair the amount of food that needs to be ordered for the Banquet.

Paul and I have been meeting monthly and will continue to to make sure registration goes somewhat smoothly. I am asking everyone that this "going hybrid" thing is a new experience for us, so please try and remember... love and tolerance is our code.

If you are a new GSR or DCM, please make sure to fill out your Change Forms. GSRs, you can give them to your District's Registrar or DCM, and they can pass them along either to me, or to Paul directly. DCMs, please forward to myself or Paul as well.

I look forward to seeing all your possibly unmasked faces in the Fall. Thank you for all you do and allowing me to do it with you!

ARCHIVIST: RONNIE D.

Hello everyone my name is Ronnie Dillion and I am an Alcoholic. My sobriety date is December 10, 1999. I am currently serving as the Area 42 / SAGSC Archivist in the first year of my 4 year term.

Since our last SAGSC meeting I have been a regular attendee at the monthly Pacific Region Zoom meeting and have enjoyed interacting with the Archivists in the Pacific Region that ranges from Japan to Washington and Southern California.

Time permitting, because of work, I have been having committee meetings at Archives here at the Las Vegas Central office focusing on getting archive material out of decaying cardboard boxes and into water resistant plastic storage containers. We are also preparing three display cases to be taken to Tonopah for the fall general assembly.

Archives was invited to participate in Founder's Day this year and we prepared a table at Central office and donated 45 dollars for the event. We sat up next to the Grapevine table and were made to feel welcome.

Archives has had a few requests for information and research and we were able to find meeting schedules for the Las Vegas area dated from 1947 to 2008 for John H. from the AA way of life group and we have ongoing research objectives at the moment not only locally but requests being prepared to be sent to GSO.

Recently an anonymous donor gave Archives 2 large showcases for a display in the meeting room here at Central Office and we will be cleaning, refurbishing and modifying these showcases to create a display. The archives committee used a very large rented truck and strenuous effort to get these showcases moved from Downtown to Central Office.

Should you wish to participate or attend an Archives committee meeting please let me know my email or text. We mostly need help with moving, lifting and sorting materials active research requests at the moment, but we will have upcoming events to attend such as the District 1 Picnic in October and The Las Vegas Round up.

This concludes my report. Thank for for listening.

TRANSLATION: DIANA OR TONY

Hello, my name is Tony, and I am an alcoholic. First and foremost, I want to thank Diana and Dina for taking over all the translations while I suffered the loss of 2 family members, one being my brother who was one of us and helped me get here.

We did not receive many reports from DCM's or committee members for this meeting. Please send us your reports at least 1 to 2 weeks in advance so we can translate them for our Spanish members. We would appreciate your consideration on sending the reports early, especially for Tonopah. What we do is translate your report and read the translation to the Spanish districts, so we don't have to follow you while you speak. Many of you speak faster than we can translate. It is a disservice to the Spanish community if they do not get all the information that is disseminated at our assemblies and area meetings.

Thank you for giving me the privilege to serve you as your Translation Committee chair.

STANDING COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON REPORTS

GRAPEVINE: JASON M (JAKE S. gave the report)

Hello my name is Jason and I am your alcoholic grapevine Chair. Our committee meets the last Friday of the month at 6pm. Currently we are still meeting on zoom and we will be voting on returning to in person at the July meeting. If you are a gsr and your group has a grapevine rep or if you want to check it out and report back to your home group email sagscgrapevine@nevadaarea42.org and I will send you the zoom link.

We have 4 new Grapevine reps since our last SAGSC meeting. Our first in person event was Founder's Day which was a success, thank you to everyone that helped out with that event. We have a few events scheduled in the coming months, if you would like the committee to set up a table please email sagscgrapevine@nevadaarea42.org

News from AA Grapevine:

July's Grapevine magazine's featured section is the annual prison issue.

Also some really exciting news directly from AA Grapevine

"As of July 7, 2021, you'll be able to see our Daily Quote each morning, know when our new magazine issues release, learn about new books and be inspired by both AA pioneers and today's members."

Thank you for allowing me to serve!

CPC (COOPERATION WITH THE PROFESSIONAL COMMUNITY): ROBIN R.

My name is Robin, I am an Alcoholic and the SAGSC CPC Committee Chair. Thank you for allowing me to be of service and present this report.

In person conventions are returning to Las Vegas. We have an opportunity to participate in the Las Vegas Health & Wellness Expo August 28, 2021. The National Association of Case Management will be here August 31-September 2, however, the cost to participate is prohibitive.

We have received an email from UNLV School of Medicine. They are back and having a Planning Meeting (in person) on Thursday July 29, 2021 from 3:00 to 4:00. The location is Shadow Lane Campus of the School of Medicine. The actual event, Mobile Health Collaborative will be October 21 or 22, location to be determined.

The National PI, CPC Working Group is presenting "A Solution for Alcoholism" on July 24th 9:00 AM Pacific Time. Zoom ID: 84235248884 Passcode: 411 This is a 1hr presentation, followed by Q & A. This group meets regularly to share ideas in bring AA to those who still suffer.

We have reached out to a Faith based Guidance Counselor, at this have not received a reply. We will continue to reach out to High School Counselors when school starts again in August.

We continue visibility with our partners, Nevada Homeless Alliance, ID#83704542359, PW460372. PACT Coalition, ID#844438067003 PWPACTMEET.

Finally, CPC needs an alternate Chair as well as additional volunteers. If you know of anyone who wants to get into service, please direct them to me.

PI (PUBLIC INFORMATION): JOHN H

There was no report from John H.

ACCESSIBILITIES: CYNTHIA H

As Accessibilities Chair, I don't have anything to report at this time. I have attended several meetings and have recruited some new volunteers. As Meetings TO Go chair, I had two calls from members. We took a meeting to one individual. The other individual had already left the hospital. I still need a co-chair. It is an easy commitment for those who want to slowly get their feet wet in service. Any interested individuals can reach out to me at cynthhuey@yahoo.com.

COMMITTEE LIAISONS

H&I (HOSPITALS & INSTITUTIONS): ROBERT (CORRECTIONS)

Hospitals (Treatment)

The committee is currently conducting panel meetings at the following facilities:

Panel Status

- Crossroads Treatment Center
- Las Vegas Rescue Mission (Live)
- Salvation Army (women)
- Salvation Army (Men)
- Westcare Detox
- Westcare Women
- Desert Hope Addiction Treatment
- Seven Hills Behavioral Health
- Freedom House Sober Living
- Wellcare Behavioral Health
- Two facilities have requested H&I panel participation

Insitution (Corrections)

Panel Status

H&I Workshops

- Spring workshop held at Tie Club on April 10th
- Next workshop tentatively schedule for mid July

H&I Donation Information i Las Vegas Hospitals and Institutions Committee
3870 E Flamingo RD.
P O BOX A2- #405
Las Vegas, NV 89121

The following information should be included with each donation

- Group Name
- Group Number (GSO 6 digits)
- Amount of donation
- Signature and,
- email address to receive a receipt.

H&I Workshops

- Spring workshop held at Tie Club on April 10th
- Next workshop tentatively schedule for mid July

LAS VEGAS INTERGROUP LIAISON: CAROLINE (update on July 12, 2021)

Intergroup met on June 14th.

Central Office: Judy P. reporting. There is one in-office hotline shift: Tuesday 8-12. Medallions have been ordered and are available at Central Office. The Meeting Guide app is active. Please help keep the Meeting Schedule up to date. Send corrections and contact info for meeting reps to Judy. JudyAA710@gmail.com

Treasurer: Bob F. reporting. Year-to-date (May 30):

Income \$91,300.54

Expenses \$77,469.88

Net Income \$13,830.66

\$55,019.18 Prudent Reserve

Hotline & 12 Step List: Nothing new with the Hotline or 12 Step List – new recruits are always welcome, of course!
GreenBeaned@yahoo.com or 702-493-9694.

General Service Liaison: Caroline reporting. Report attached in email. For more info contact your GSR or Caroline
CarolineTJ@cox.net

Accessibilities: Cynthia reporting. No report. Contact Cynthia for more info 404-788-8089 or cynthhuey@yahoo.com.

PI: John reporting. No report. See New Business.

CPC: Robin reporting. Professional outreach continuing. Exploring conventions and waiting to hear from Metro re: the Giving Project. 702-688-0777.

Meetings to Go: Cynthia reporting. Committee is restarting meetings in retirement homes, hospitals or institutions. No home visits, just phone calls. If you know of someone that needs a meeting or wants to volunteer, contact Cynthia: 404-788-8089

Board of Directors: No report.

Men's Night Out: Date set for Aug. 28th at Palace Station at 6pm. Tom B. from Simi Valley, CA is the speaker. Flyers are forthcoming.

Archives: No report.

Silver Streak: Dave reporting. *Silver Streak* now monthly. Please write articles about Steps, Traditions 8-12 (one page), **Meeting-Spotlight (100-125 words), Old-Timer (20+ years) Interviews**, anecdotes and home-group histories. Keep sending in fliers and announcements, meetings, etc. Contact Dave: 804-267-0492 or lvsilverstreak@gmail.com

LVYPAA: No report.

Grapevine: No report.

Founders Day: No report.

Intergroup Outreach: Michael reporting. If you're interested in volunteering, contact Michael: 702-742-3668,
michael.harriman@rocketmail.com

H&I: As of June, there are over 100 panels each month and activity is increasing.

Gratitude Ball: October 2nd @ Palace Station. Purchase tickets at www.GratitudeBall.com . Looking for donations for baskets and monetary donations for 2 tables for sober living volunteers.

New Business:

- John – PI – has reserved the domain name AAVegas.org if Intergroup would like to change its domain name from LVCentralOffice.org. After much discussion, the matter was tabled while the Board collects financial data.
- Check out AA Presents a Solution for Alcoholism, July 24th. www.TraingleFellowship.com/july-24/
- August 15th – Mt Charleston Picnic is on! Live!

LVYPAA LIAISON: MICHAEL L.

LVYPAA, The Las Vegas Young People of Alcoholics Anonymous committee, will be hosting it's annual "Battle of the YPAAs Monster Pong Tournament" at T.I.E. club on Saturday, July 17th at 5pm. Tournament entries are \$40/team (\$20/individual competitor) contending for a cash prize. Non-competitor suggested donation is \$5. Our featured speaker will be Bianca T. of Las Vegas. Come join the fun!

Stay up to date on everything LVYPAA is doing on our new website www.lvypaa.org

Our committee meetings are still on the first Sunday of the month at 1:30 PM at Central Office.

If you have any questions or would like to get in touch, you can email LVYPAA at lvypaa.nv@gmail.com.

DCM REPORTS:

DISTRICT 1: MARTY

My name is Marty and I am an alcoholic. I am the DCM for district one. We are in the planning stages for the district one picnic to be held on the second weekend of October at the same location as it was previously at the multi use building at the Broadbent Park. We have the space reserved and we are organizing activities. District one is in the early stages of planning a workshop but we do not have a date or location at this time. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.

DISTRICT 3: ANDRE

We are putting together a committee to reach out the outlying communities to get their GSRs involved in the district and General Service.

District 3 is a large geographical area.

DISTRICT 5B: ASHLEY (Dan, alt DCM reports)

Good Afternoon, my name is Ashley/Dan, and I am an Alcoholic. I am your DCM/ALT DCM for District 5b. District 5b will have our first in person district meeting this month. We also have some exciting news!! We were able to fill our communications chair position!! Thank you, Emmie!! she will doing outreach to meetings within our district, to teach the importance of participating in general service and having a GSR to represent them. She will be working on bringing some of our dark meetings back to light. Our next workshop will be held October 9th from 2-4 PM and our topic will be grapevine. We will also be holding our annual picknick at Freedom Park on October 10th. We had a new H & I chair, and a new workshop chair voted in, thank you Bill and Pam for taking on these commitments and for Samantha and Jeff for offering to assist in the workshop. We also want to welcome Melanie, our new GSR to the district!! We appreciate all of our members that have stepped up to represent their groups and are looking forward for more opportunities for our district to be of service.

DISTRICT 7: BROOKE

Hello, my name is Brooke and I am the DCM for district 7. Currently we are meeting on zoom on the 3rd of Friday of each month at 630pm. We continue to increase involvement of new GSR's. Tickets are sold out for the Mt. Charleston Picnic. Please contact Julie if you are volunteering and still need a ticket. Thank you to everyone who is making the picnic possible this year. Stay tuned for more service events coming up! Thank you!

DISTRICT 9: DANIEL

Hello everyone, and thank you for allowing me to serve. I am an alcoholic and my name is Dano. I am the newly elected DCM of district 9. A vital diverse district that was considered dark (inactive) until recently. It's a lovely process how service commitments find you- much like a rescued animal, whom you find helps you more than you would ever imagine.

District 9 has the challenges I would consider more as opportunities. To foster and buld the district from the ground floor. To be the lighthouse of structure on the rocky shoreline in district affairs.

The silver linings of gratitudes lie within the small handful of GSR's the DCM was bequeathed. They are the sprouting seeds of the district's hopes and dreams- that rise from the group's voices. Our district in my eyes is in the heart of Las Vegas. Within our boundaries: the new Central Office location, The Las Vegas Strip, UNLV's main campus, and all the gritty polished recovery that lies in between.

Some meetings have moved to active districts, others have been lost in the pandemic. Other meetings have returned to the churches that house them, or the small cozy rooms of Orleans Square at Commercial Center. District 9 like all of our communities has a diverse cross section of every alcoholic. The exception is: It is our district which is the distant community waiting for the message. Grasping for the hand of AA.

We come here today in humility, we are the humble servants who will lead with our actions. Humility, hard work, and dedication will be the building blocks towards the future service cycles of district 9. Our aspirations and message of recovery will hopefully foster into the creation of new meetings on the Strip, UNLV campus meetings, and an updated restructured roster. Our GSRs are already planning service events that will inspire and inform our groups and fellowship.

We can hope that an inactive district can also become the beacon of light for ourselves and other districts in our Area 42. The AA Service Manual, has the blueprints and instructions for the structure. My blessing has become the absolute presence of talent and vision from the GSRs that sit before us. Together we can execute and bring forth the fruits of hard work and labor. That our humbled district may come "Into The Light"

DISTRICT 11:

DISTRICT 13:

DISTRICT 15: TERESA

Hi, I'm Teresa from District 15. I have to register for this and we are contacting other districts to help us to do other things and making money so that we can do other activities. We don't have any and we are excited to serve you guys and this district. The pandemic wiped us out. We have a few GSRs and have roped some people into service. I will do it again. I am grateful for that and have some good GSRs there. We are getting our district together.

DISTRICT 17: BRAD

Hello, my name is Brad, and I am an Alcoholic currently serving as the DCM for District 17. District 17 includes Pahrump in the South to Beatty in the North and west to Furnace Creek, Sandy Valley, Tecopa and all points in between. The district conducts its business on the first Wednesday of the Month from 5:30-7:00 on Zoom. We have 4-5 members that attend on average. At the July meeting it was voted to move to a hybrid district meeting. I am currently in the process of finding a room and the district meeting time may need to change due to availability. I have also moved the Zoom portion of the district meeting over to the Area 42 Zoom account. The district is currently financially sound, and we have enough funds to cover basic expenses and groups are starting to contribute again. The Alternate DCM remains open as well as the PI/CPC chair. Bill A. has stepped up and is now the District's Workshop Chair. We are looking forward to getting some workshops going in the district in the near future. The Districts Annual campout is well into the planning stages and the dates are set. The Lovell Canyon Campout will take place September 3-5, 2021. More info to come. If I can be helpful in any way, please feel free to reach out.

DISTRICT 19: JIM

Our meetings are in person and we have three GSRs. We will be having our first CAMPNIC and there are flyers available. Thank you for letting me be of service.

DISTRICT 21: FRANCISCO

As we say in Alcoholics Anonymous in Spanish, "que tengan Felices 24 Horas" which means that we wish you a Happy 24 Hours. My name is Francisco "C", serving as DCM for District 21. (Spanish linguistic district in Las Vegas)

I am proud to inform you that we began working with our district with a new service panel since the first day of January 2021 until now. We've been working extremely hard and to our capacity for the last two months to organize an especially important event: The 19th Local Hispanic AA Forum which will be held on July 11, 2021, at the Elegant Banquet Hall here in Las Vegas, NV, and where we will have the participation of our Area 42 delegate, Julie.

We are working on an upcoming event; the XXII Hispanic State Convention which will be taking place the 8th, 9th, and 10th of October 2021. We are also cooperating with the event celebrating the 25th Anniversary of La Viña which will be taking place in Phoenix, AZ from the 23rd to the 25th of July of this year.

As you all can see, we are busy. We are visiting our 16 active and traditional Spanish speaking AA groups, we are supporting the H&I committees even though they are not working at 100% capacity because jails and hospitals are still closed due to Covid 19. District 21, as a single district, with alcoholics working together along side our new panel of trusted servants, with the GSRs and committee chairs and as as a one-of-a-kind fellowship, we truly breath an atmosphere of Happiness, Peace and Unity.

Serving as DCM – Francisco Secretary – Bacilio Treasurer - Martin

OLD BUSINESS:

SAGSC GUIDELINES FINAL READING AND VOTE (Caroline)

There was a discussion about the effect of the possible reunification of the two treasuries if voted upon at the Area 42 Assembly. The discussion addressed the reasons why we should vote upon the Guidelines today. An explanation was given as to why the Guidelines needed to be changed. This included the new funding requirements of the standing chairs. There were also other numbering and grammar issues.

Vote Outcome: Motion ___ Ron _____ **Second** ___ Lisa _____ **Yeah 39/Nay 0 Motion Passes**

KEEPING THE MEETING AT CENTRAL OFFICE

A discussion was conducted regarding the pros and cons of having the meeting at Central Office. Glen W. Was concerned about them not having the availability of tables and snacks. Also, the problem is the breakout meetings and the difficulty in being accommodated in two small rooms. Discussed the ability to add tables. Do we need an ad hoc committee. Under our guidelines, the chairperson makes the decision. Another is on the fence, that we should support Central Office. Many people have worked to get this system right. This is our central office. Also, we should discuss whether we are doing this next time. There is a possibility of adding tables. There

NEW BUSINESS:

SAGSC COMMITTEE PROPOSAL

Two separate committees...Corrections and Treatment. There is a disagreement. Questions were asked. What are we trying to do? Should there be an ad hoc committee. Have an ad hoc committee to meet with the H&I committee a bring this to the SAGSC meeting for the next meeting.

CORRECTIONS CORRESPONDENCE SERVICE MOTION

This requests that the General Service Conference consider developing a pamphlet on the Corrections Correspondence Service to include current and additional Fellowship sharing on the value of Corrections Correspondence Service participation. Background

This motion was originated by a member of the Caring & Sharing Group in Stead, NV. The motion received unanimous approval by the Caring & Sharing Group. The motion was then presented to the District 16 General Service Committee where the motion also received unanimous approval. The motion was presented to the Northern Area General Service Committee, (NAGSC), as new business on December 5, 2020. The motion was approved by majority by the NAGSC on June 5, 2021.

Sometimes upon incarceration, a still suffering alcoholic develops a desire to stop drinking. In some cases the person in custody may be confined in an institution that has no A.A. meetings, and sometimes no A.A literature. If that suffering person in custody contacts our General Service Office, one of the resources we can offer is the Corrections Correspondence Service.

The Corrections Correspondence Service, (CCS), allows an A.A. member who is not confined in a correctional facility to share recovery experience, strength, and hope with an alcoholic who is confined through written correspondence. This service,-is coordinated through the Corrections Desk at the General Service Office. The service is made possible by Fellowship members who volunteer to be Corrections Correspondents.

CCS was established by Conference Advisory Action in 1971. Forty-nine years later, Corrections Correspondence is still referred to as "A Very Rewarding, But Rarely Mentioned Form Of 12th Step Work".

When this service is requested by an incarcerated alcoholic an "outside" Corrections Correspondent can serve as a vital link to the A.A. program of recovery.

The staff on the A.A. Corrections Desk continually describes the Corrections Correspondence Service as "one of our most valuable efforts".

1 In an average year during the 2010 - 2019 period, the GSO Corrections Desk connected 1,439 persons in custody who requested this service with "outside" A.A. Corrections Correspondents. 73% of persons in custody requesting the service were male.

2. There is an ongoing shortage of Fellowship volunteers, (particularly men), to serve as corrections correspondents.3 When a shortage of volunteers occurs, persons in custody requesting an outside correspondent are put on a waiting list until additional volunteers are enrolled in the service. Sometimes persons in custody wait for up to six months to be connected to an outside correspondent due to this shortage of volunteers.

The GSO Corrections Desk sends out pleas to the Fellowship for additional CCS volunteers on a regular basis, (see attachment 1). Usually in the July edition, the Grapevine publishes an article, usually entitled "Male Call", announcing the need for additional male Corrections Correspondent volunteers, (see attachment 2). The Corrections Desk also sends an annual letter to Delegates asking them to announce the need for additional CCS volunteers.

There has never been a pamphlet on the Corrections Correspondence Service.

Service Material publication F-26, (see attachment 3), serves as the application used to volunteer for CCS and provides some information on CCS.

Fellowship members who have served as Corrections Correspondents have found this form of 12th Step service to be very rewarding. Fellowship sharing on the value of CCS participation can be found in a variety of A.A. publications such as Box 459, the Grapevine, and the Corrections Desk publication Sharing From Behind The Walls.

It is anticipated that more Fellowship members would volunteer for this service if current and additional Fellowship sharing on why participation is "most rewarding" could be consolidated into a pamphlet on the Corrections Correspondence Service.

Additional participation by new CCS volunteers would allow the "hand of A.A. to be there" when a still suffering alcoholic behind the bars "reaches out for help", instead of being placed on a waiting list.

Respectfully submitted,

**THANK YOU DISTRICT _7_ FOR HOSTING
FALL ASSEMBLY - SEPTEMBER 10-12
CLOSE WITH RESPONSIBILITY DECLARATION**